How do I compute estimated tax payments?

Let’s say you change from employee to self-employed at mid-year. You’ll need to make estimated payments to avoid penalties and interest. Here’s what to do:

  • Find the amount for “Total Tax” on page 2 of your prior year tax Form 1040.
  • Multiply by 110%.
  • Subtract the total federal income tax withheld on your paystub from this number.
  • Divide the result by the number of estimated payment dates remaining in the year
  • Send in a check for that amount each due date.

Here’s a link to the IRS fillable 1040ES forms for 2016, along with instructions, due dates, & mailing addresses.

State laws will vary.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s